Sunday 10 November 2013

Easy Apple Chutney


I was given a huge bag of cooking apples this week and not wanting to waste them I have wrapped some in newspaper and left them in the shed, made some apple sauce for the freezer and with the rest I made apple chutney with some pears that were given to me.

We were spending the weekend with my father-in-law so I popped into my house and put together a chutney travel pack!


Apple Chutney:-

Put all of the ingredients into a large pan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 60-90 minutes or until thick and most of the liquid has gone.


1.5kg apples or a combination of apples, pear and marrow
2.5 large onions finely chopped
500g raisins
750g light brown muscovado sugar
700ml cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp corriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
0.5 tsp chilli flakes (if you want more heat add 1 tsp)

When thick, put into sterillised jars and seal with jam pot covers. Put away in a cool dry place to mature for at least 3 months but the longer you can leave it the better it will be. Perfect to make now and enjoy next summer with all those burgers and sausages! Enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment