Sunday 2 February 2014

They're cherries Jim but not as we know them!! - French Glace Cherries


When I think of Provence in France or the wine producing region of The Languedoc I do not immediately think of glace cherries!  Until today that is!

I was invited to a French Glace Cherry MasterClass and really couldn't think of that many things to use them for - how could you have a masterclass on adding glace cherries to fruit cake, mincemeat or topping cupcakes?  I usually have a pot in my baking box and that is really all I use them for.


We had a great morning, being introduced to the history, region, production of French Glace Cherries and learned how we owe it all to Sir Winston Churchill's love for these little preserved cherries and his insistence on importing them into Britain.   In fact the majority of French Glace Cherries produced in Provence, are imported into Britain for us avid bakers.

We tasted some recipes already made for us - Can you imagine French Glace Cherry Chutney?! I am most definitely making that, and it was served on top of blue cheese and oat cakes.


Or how about French Glace Cherries smoothies?


Then the fun started, divided into teams of two but somehow we made a team of three and got on with making our two recipes!


First was a Jaffa Cake inspired Cherry Jelly Cake which was a revelation for me.  I don't like Jaffa Cakes because I don't like the orange jelly but had never thought of using a different fruit middle.


First we made the jelly so it could set, then the cake bottom followed by the assembly and topping with melted chocolate and in honour of the forthcoming Valentine's day we decorated them with hearts.

Our second recipe of the morning was a quick and easy cake called 'Financiers' which was so simple to make and armed with the items in our goodie pack I will certainly be making these on a regular basis.

The production of French Glacé Cherries consists of replacing the fruit’s natural water content with sugar.  There are no artificial colours or preservatives in these cherries. The bright colour comes from natural fruit colours.  It takes about 10 days for a tray of fresh cherries to become glacé cherries.

Finally, at home with a lovely cup of coffee and sharing them with Mr R and FIL.


Thanks to French Glace Cherries for inviting me to take part in the masterclass.  I did not receive any payment for attending or for writing up the account of the session.

22 comments:

  1. Jaffa Cakes are one of my guilty pleasures and so I love the idea of Cherry Jelly Cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones we made were exactly like the original Jaffa Cakes but without the orange - perfect!

      Delete
  2. What fun heidi! I had a thing about these as a child, but it might be time to try them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really knew what to do with glace cherries but will defo be using them in the future!

      Delete
  3. I would never have thought you could do so many things with glacé cherries! Love the idea of chutney. GG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the chutney and we also made a glace cherry jam! Who would have thought!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a fab day Heidi! Love workshops like this, it's always nice to learn something new :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love learning something new and always seem to!

      Delete
  6. WOW! What a GREAT day out! I was invited, but sadly I couldn't make it! Still, I can see it all through your blog post! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a giggle and I learned something so a good time!

      Delete
  7. A really interesting morning - didn't realise their French provenance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost all of them come from Provence! I always thought the colour was artificial but it is all natural!

      Delete
  8. So sad I ended up not being able to make this one - I came down with a dreadful cold and decided to spare everyone my germs! Glad you had a fab time;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was looking forward to seeing you Fiona but thanks for not bringing the germs!

      Delete
  9. How fun! I'm terrible around glace cherries, and can just eat one after another straight from the pot!
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can have a tub in the baking box for ages but now I will be using them for all sorts of things!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a lot of fun at the Masterclass. I can't imagine baking without glace cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use them in cakes but would never have thought of using them for jam and chutney

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the combination of French cherries and blue cheese, Monica for Smarter Fitter bought me some back from her trip to France in the summer. Exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cherry chutney worked really well with the blue cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely loved the oat cakes , was afba masterclass ! Reminds me I need to write up my post too!Cheers - Manjiri- http://sliceoffme.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete