Tuesday 25 November 2014

Soup time! Number 1 tip for surviving winter

I do love making soup and if I can make one that cost a few pence per serving I am even happier!

The other day in the supermarket I got two beef rib bones loaded with meat and a good deal of thick, yellow fat on them for £1.33.

I roasted them in the oven with a little seasoning until most of the fat had rendered off. This will be saved for Sunday's roast potatoes.

I put the roasted bones into a sauce pan of fresh cold water along with two carrots, sliced and two sticks of celery also sliced.  Boil for about 30 minutes then add a handful of dried fava beans and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.  The beans should be soft and the carrots cooked.

The meat fell off the bone and the extra fat and grizzle discarded. Seasonings from my store cupboard, parsley from the allotment and the total cost of the batch of soup is around £2.00. 

I will get 2-3 servings as it is or can decide to add some cooked rice or pasta and it will serve 4-6 people making a cost of approximately £0.40 per serving.

Tasty, nutritious and satisfying meal (add a chunk of favourite bread) and low cost.  What could be better.



 

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastically frugal and very tasty soup. The perfect winter warmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making soup out of only a few ingredients, low cost but great taste and so healthy!

      Delete
  2. We eat soup throughout the year, Lovely to get those 5 a day in on a spoon. Can never have enough soup recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make loads of soup during the year but it really comes into its own in the autumn and winter!

    ReplyDelete