Friday 4 September 2015

W Hotel London - Afternoon Tea with a Twist

Afternoon Tea is one of my favourite indulgent pleasures - so quintessientally British! I was pleased to be invited by a blogger colleague Fiona who writes an extradordinary blog about London called London Unattached to join her for afternoon tea at W Hotel in London's Soho district.

You may remember a huge building on the corner of Wardour Street and Leicester Square called the Swiss Centre with the moving and chiming clock.  Well, the Swiss Centre has been replaced by W Hotel which I have walked past and wondered what was with the giant 'W' outside.
You enter via huge glass doors and into the elevator to the first floor where the reception for this luxury, contemporary and unusual hotel is located.
I am a preferred coffee drinker but the beverage to accompany afternoon tea has to be tea.  There was as extensive list to chose from of black, green and white teas. I went for the Organic English Breakfast blend so as not to over power the flavours of the food.
The list of teas on offer includes Chamomile, Jasmine Dragon Pearl, Japanese Sencha, Fresh Mint, Organic English Breakfast, Earl Grey and more.

When the tray appeared it was very exotic
Turned around we can see what is on offer!
Glazed Pork Belly Steam Bun (Pickled Shallots, Basil, Mint & Sweet Soy)
Thai Shrimp Cake Steam bun (green Mango, Peanut and Cucumber Relish)
Ovaltine Kulfi (Whipped Condensed Milk, Candied Fennel Seeds)
Mango and Sticky Rice Roll (Sweet Puffed Rice)
Pandan Macaron (Kaya Jam, Soy Sauce Powder)
Green Tea and White Chocolate Opera Cake
Afternoon Tea is available in the W Lounge daily from 2:00 until 5:00 pm for £29.00 per person.  For reservations phone 020 7758 1060.

Thanks Fiona for asking me to accompany you!  All opinions and photos are my own.

10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous array of sweet & savoury nibbles included in this tea - a real treat:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very different and definitely tasty.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely spread they offer.. all of them are very different and look so inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to be traditional and different at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Oh I would love to sit there now and sip coffee eating sweets ;) My OH promised me an afternoon tea somewhere nice for birthday so I'm looking forward to it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bright and comfy place to sit and sip tea and eat!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! That looks like enough food for a proper full on meal! Love the sound of the porl belly bun, yum!
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Heidi, this sounds amazing. I love afternoon tea too, but I've never had anything quite like this

    ReplyDelete