Sunday 3 November 2013

Bonfire Night Sausage and Bacon Feast with Spoilt Pig and Denhay

I was recently asked if I would like to receive a box of food to include SpoiltPig sausages and loads of other products to make Bonfire Night go with a bang!  Of course I said yes and made a sausage casserole ready for when we got back from the local fireworks display.

Spoiltpig sausages are made from prime cuts of outdoor reared pork and seasoned with herbs and spices.  They are brought to the market place by Denhay Farms Ltd in Bridport Dorset.

First of all I pierced four jacket potatoes, rubbed them with a small amount of rapeseed oil and sprinkled with salt flakes and coarsly ground black pepper.  The potatoes went into the oven and I got on with the casserole.

I was sent two types of sausages and decided to use the package of 6 Succulent Pork Sausages seasoned with black pepper and mixed herbs.



 
I heated up some rapeseed oil and sauteed the onion and chopped red pepper until soft and lightly browned.  The sausages went into the pan next and browned all over.


When the sausages were browned I added a tin of Canneloni beans, drained a tin of chopped tomatoes, 2 Tablespoons tomato puree, 1 tsp chilli paste, 2 Tablespoons Tracklements Spicy Tomato Sauce, 200ml of water and seasoning.



Pop a lid on the pan and let it simmer for about 45 minutes


Result a lovely warming sausage casserole to warm us up after the fireworks.
 
 
I also wanted an alternative sausage meal to offer to warm friends up.  I cooked the Spoiltpig pork and herb sausages in the oven.  To go with them I wanted to use a pumpkin from our allotment.
 

I cut the bottom and top off the pumpkin, cut it into wedges
 
 
and took the seeds out of the middle.  I peeled the pumpkin wedges and placed them on a baking tray, drizzled with a bit of rapeseed oil and oven baked for about 20 minutes.
 

After giving the wedges a chance to par cook I wrapped each wedge in a slice of Denhay streaky bacon and drizzled with maple syrup.


Back into the oven for another 20 minutes (ish) to let the bacon crisp and served with the pork and herb sausages.
 


Two very warming recipes making two distinct fireworks meals, warming people up and a nice cold beer to wash them down!


I received the sausages and bacon from Denhay.  I was not required to write about the products and all opinion and recipes are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment