Sunday 29 December 2013

Sunday Soup - Fava Bean and Ham

I like to make a pot of soup on a Sunday afternoon.  This week I used the stock I made from boiling the Christmas gammon I got from Aldi to cook and review.


This gammon has fed us on Christmas Day, cold cuts on Boxing Day, creamy cheese and ham noodles and now a lovely fava bean and ham soup. That's pretty good going for one gammon.

I was given a box of split, dried fava beans in the summer in my Food Blogger Connect goodie bag.  They are from Hodmedod's and the box comes with a mini recipe book and a good description of the beans.

Fava beans are tasty and very good for you and really easy to cook with.  Basically cover with water or stock, bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes then simmer for 20-30 minutes.

For this week's soup I started by chopping and sauteeing an onion, two garlic cloves and two sticks of celery.  Instead of using butter or sunflower oil, this time I used some of the goose fat I received from Cooks&Co before Christmas.


Whilst this was getting some colour I put about half of the package of fava beans in another pot and boiled following the instructions on the pack.  When they were cooked I put about 2/3 of the beans in the soup pot and liquidised it all.  I seasoned the soup with black pepper, Tabasco sauce.  I didn't add salt because the gammon was pretty salty in the first place.

I added the last 1/3 of the fava beans to the soup so there is a little texture.

 

The finished soup - this will keep me and Mr R in lunches for the week - if it lasts that long!!


I didn't receive any payment for writing this post.  I used leftovers from our Christmas gammon and was not required to write this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment