Saturday 25 May 2013

Ambrosia brings you Devon Dream

I was recently sent some Ambrosia Devon Dream to try.  I know you can't beat home made custard but sometimes you need to save time or have unexpected guests and Ambrosia custard is a great cupboard standby.  With that in mind I was curious to try the Devon Dream.

The new Devon Dream is a vanilla flavoured dessert sauce that has 80% less fat than single cream. Taste wise it is like mixing cream with custard. It's creamy and has a very subtle taste, not overpowering at all.

There are no artificial colours or preservatives and once opened needs to be kept in the fridge.

I used the Devon Dream on two puddings recently.  For the first I had some nectarines that needed using and decided to make a pudding with them.

I cut the fruit in half, removed the stones and sprinkled them with some brown sugar we bought on holiday in Barbados (real sugar cane sugar from the rum distillery).
 
I put a knob of butter in the dish with the fruit and sugar and popped them into the oven for about 45 minutes, until they were soft but not mushy.
Served warm with some Ambrosia Devon Dream, a nice balance between their custard and double cream.

 
I also used the nectarines to make a cake. The recipe originally called for peaches and used sour cream but I had the bargain nectarines and wanted to use those and I had some Quark from The Lake District Dairy and used that. The Quark I had had a lemon flavour and this complimented the cake beautifully.
 
The cake was moist and tasty but not too sweet and the Devon Dream went really well with it.
 
 


 
 
Many thanks to Ambrosia for sending me this product to try and to write about. I think it will be a cupboard staple in our house.

1 comment: